Sweet and Spicy Almond
photo by shutter stock
By Nushin Huq
Nuts are the perfect hiking snack, but store bought seasoned nuts can have a lot of sodium in them. Make your own, season to your taste. Better yet, make a big batch to enjoy before Thanksgiving dinner and pack the rest to go.
2 1/2 cups almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon of coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (1 tsp for a little extra heat or omit)
1 Tablespoon of honey
1 Tablespoon water
1 tsp of olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread almonds on a rimmed baking sheet; toast until fragrant, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper (if using).
3. In a large skillet, cook honey and water with olive oil over medium heat, stirring, until combined.
4. Add almonds to skillet; toss to coat.
5. Add the nuts to sugar mixture, be careful not to scoop the extra glaze into bowl. Toss to coat.
6. Cool in a single layer on baking sheet.
7. Transfer to airtight container.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food.